Sunday, March 28, 2010

Is there any downside to renting from an owner?

I am going through the owner of the condo this year. Usually went through Sandestin rental.



I have not heard any downside to this, so am wondering why everyone doesn%26#39;t go this route.



I hadn%26#39;t the last 2 years, sheerly out of ignorance. I just didn%26#39;t know better.



Is there any downside to renting from an owner?


It can be a good and bad experience. For the most part there should not be any problems. However in my case (this happened in the keys) we rented a duplex and the plumbing was bad. Everytime we took showers the plumbing backed up. It would back up into or unit and the unit next door. The lady next door would then bang on our door and scream at us for clogging the plumbing. We spent 3 of our 7 days of vacation waiting on the plumber. The homeowner would not refund any of our money.



By going thru a rental company they should take care of any problems like that. (I had to call the plumber myself) and hopefully refund or find you another place to stay if there are problems.



(they knew the plumbing was bad but they were selling the unit and did not want to fix it)



However that is one bad experience. I%26#39;m sure there are plenty of people who have rented directly and not had problems.



Is there any downside to renting from an owner?


Well, I´m sorry for you to have this bad unit...





But I guess this should not be the case in 99%...



I personally rent my unit on anna - maria -island by myself too...





BUT of course there is always a maintenance manager ONSITE so that he can take care of it...



At least there will so a contact person (someone has to clean that unit!) and you´ll get help soon...





I wouldn´t be too scared ... I guess you´ll be fine with your choice!





:-)




I would say that a possible downside from renting directly from the owner would be that, should you not be happy with your unit, you more than likely can%26#39;t be switched to another unit.





I have used vrbo for many years and have never had a problem or been disappointed.





I believe that some people are more comfortable going through an agency. I prefer to go through the owner.




On the subject the previous post mentioned we had a problem with the AC in a condo we had at Tops%26#39;l.We have rented thru VRBO for years.When we contacted the owner thru the info we recieved when we signed our rental agreement they immediately called and we were moved to a friends unit that was available.Our rentals have all been better than the pics showed and asking all kinds of questions before we reserve has been a positive x-perience for us.The condos we have reserved in the past with Resortquest have been what I call bare bones condos with the minimum dishes,silverware, linens etc. while they have been nice properties we prefer the owner rentings for the extras,usually for less money.




I have had the same experiences with the rentals being even better than the pics! The owners will give you a more personalized experience and make sure you are taken care of.



I have dealt with some great owners, both local and out of state. They will take care of any issues should they arise.




bornwithwheels - was this in Destin?




oops, just saw you said in the Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment