Wednesday, March 31, 2010

things I left out about my Sanibel Vaca

While I did post many things about my trip over the two weeks that I was there, there are a few that may be worth mentioning. Here goes:





We rented a 21ft bow rider out of Port Sanibel Marina to the tune of $295 for 1/2 day plus gas. (which was another $80.00. We usually rent a boat while on Sanibel. The boat was very nice and well kept and a good time was had by all. We did not fish, but instead, wanted to go to the northern islands to explore, beach and shell. But because of the distance that it takes to get there, time did not allow for much exploring.





note for anyone wanting to do this: do not wait to reserve your boat and if going to Cayo Costa, North Captiva or Cabbage Key is your goal....rent out of Jensens or Tween Waters marina and save yourself ALOT of time getting to these outer islands! Otherwise, ;you will spend too much time in the boat!





Doc Fords was one of our best meals and everyone with us agreed



Also a first time here for me.





Matzalunas was another fav and went there twice





Traders-we went there our last night and as always had a great meal





The Bean has the best coffee and is a great liffle spot to pick up a quick breakfast sandwich or just bagel.





For those of you that must have Starbucks, The Island Cow serves Starbucks and has a great breakfast, they also do lunch and dinner.





Amys Over, This was my first try at this one and was not disappointed. It was delicious





Lighthouse Cafe always a fav and must order Mimosas. What a treat and presentation (not to mention the right way to start your day and vaca) They do call ahead seating





I highly recommend the tram tour though Ding Darling and hope for a good guide. We have done this several times and it is very informative.





We drove down to Everglade City and did an Airboat ride through 10,000 islands. Saw some wild life, gators, Angel fish, dolphin, birds. Held an gator and can not believe how soft they are! The name of the tour escapes me, but is the one that will take you to Totch Browns island. I would not bother stopping at this island unless you have read the book and are familier with him and his life.



I highly recommend reading Totch to anyone who likes this part of Florida





Did stop at the Everglade City Rod and Gun Club for lunch, but a biker group had just showed up and seem impossible to get service. This is another must if you are stopping in Everglade City. The interior of this famed club is beautiful and full of history. Spend time checking it out-it%26#39;s worth it.





Picked up 7lbs of stone crab claws and some mustard sauce. The cost of the crabs were $10.00 per lb compared to Timbers where they were $13.95 per lb. Everglade City is the Stone Crab Capital. The market was kind enough to put everthing on ice for the trip back to Sanibel





We ended up going into Marco island for lunch and up 41 back to Sanibel. Never will do this again. It took MUCH TOO LONG



75 is that way to go. But the crabs made it and were a treat!





We would have liked to spend more time in the everglades, but it was very dry there and some airboats were not running thru the sawgrass. I must say that we saw more gators on the trip down and back (maybe that was rt 29) along the road and we stopped to view them.





Saw a few manatee at Jensens which was another treat





I think I said it all. Till next year.....Sanibel Dreaming!!!!



things I left out about my Sanibel Vaca


You are right about renting boats up on Captiva for trips up to the north islands. Most guides will meet you up there as well. [As I%26#39;m usually staying up there it%26#39;s not an issue for me.] It takes a surprisingly long time by boat ,even with experienced captains who know the waters well, to reach Cayo Costa.





At least you can look at your photos and enjoy!



things I left out about my Sanibel Vaca


WDS, thanks for the post, sounds like a great trip!!





Is Amy%26#39;s mostly a breakfast place or are there other good foods? Haven%26#39;t been there before.





What is Totch? Who wrote it, what is it about?





WeluvSanibel




Amy%26#39;s I think started as only a breakfast but I believe they are serving other meals. But breakfast is what is is known for. I%26#39;ve a some good ones there but the reviews recently have been iffy, especially in season..


  • treat acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment